Federal and State laws prohibit the selection process from discriminating against anyone regarding religion, gender, race, national origin, color, disability or age. This policy is in compliance with current Utah State Code and Rule.
General Lottery Procedure
Mana Academy will conduct an open enrollment period annually during the months of January to March during which time advertising of the school will occur within the community. Families will be able to attend an open house in order to better understand the mission, expectations and programs of the school, and enrollment for the lottery will be done electronically through the school’s website. The lottery process will be complete by mid-June, as determined by school administration. The lottery procedure will be as follows:
- Under Utah code 53A-1a-506(2)(b)(i and ii) returning students and siblings of returning students will be given preferential enrollment on a space available basis.
- Any siblings not given preferential enrollment due to space unavailability will be placed at the top of the wait list.
- If there are additional seats available and more students applying than available seats, a lottery will be held.
- Each student applying will receive a number through a random lottery.
- Available seats will be filled starting with twelfth grade and working down through kindergarten.
- Siblings of students selected in the general lottery will be granted sibling preference in compliance with Utah Code 53A-1a-506(2)(b)(i and ii) or placed on the sibling priority list. Students who gain enrollment via sibling preference will maintain such preference as long as the originally selected sibling remains enrolled at the school.
- The sibling priority list will be compiled based on original lottery number.
- Students not selected in the lottery or on the sibling preference list will be placed on the waiting list after sibling preferences in order of lottery selection number.
In compliance with Utah Code 53A-1a-506(2)(b)(i and ii) the following categories of prospective students receive enrollment preference, not to exceed five percent of maximum enrollment which only applies to students of founders and children of teachers/staff:
- Students of Founding Members and Board Members. Board Members are defined as those who are actively participating on the Board of Directors. Founding members are defined as those who actively participated in developing of the school.
- Students enrolled the previous year and are intending to return.
- Siblings of students currently enrolled.
- Children of full-time teachers and other staff as allowed by law.
Exceptions to Enrollment Preference
Mana Academy recognizes that it is not in the best interest of a child to be moved from school to school. Unnecessary change can cause lack of continuity in curriculum and can hamper a feeling of community for the child and family. For that reason exceptions to the enrollment preference list are as follows:
- Children of founding members who leave the school will not be given priority if they return unless there are extenuating circumstances such as, but not limited to, family illness or military duty. Such situations will be reviewed by the Board of Directors on a case by case basis.
- Students who leave the school but have a remaining sibling and want to return will not be put on the sibling preference list if they wish to return. They will be put into the general lottery for the next school year.
Mana Academy Charter School
2355 S. Technology Drive, West Valley City, UT 84119
Phone: 801.972.MANA (6262) | Fax: 801.401.7135
3487 W 2100 South, Suite 200, West Valley City, UT 84119
Front Desk: 385.800.9100 | School Counselor: 385.800.9102 | Fax: 801.401.7135
Home | About | Jobs | Our Charter | Calendar | Our Board | Special Education | AHERA Notice
Copyright © 2012 - 2015 Mana Academy. All Rights Reserved.